Sexual Harassment Takes Place if a Person
- Subjects another person to an unwelcome act of physical intimacy, like grabbing, brushing, touching, pinching etc.
- Makes an unwelcome demand or request (whether directly or by implication) for sexual favour from another person, and further makes it a condition for employment/payment of wages/increment/promotion etc.
- Makes an unwelcome remark with sexual connotations, like sexually explicit compliments/cracking loud jokes with sexual connotations/ making sexist remarks etc.
- Shows a person any sexually explicit visual material, in the form of pictures/cartoons/pinups/calendars/screen savers on computers/any offensive written material/pornographic emails, etc.
- Engages in any other unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature, which could be verbal, or even non-verbal, like staring to make the other person uncomfortable, making offensive gestures, kissing sounds, etc.
Often such behaviour goes unpunished because of hesitation on the part of victim to report such behaviour out of a sense of shame or fear or both. It is important to protest against any behaviour that they feel is unwanted and unacceptable. The Complaint Cell at IISER Bhopal has been set up with the aim of providing a platform to complain about any unwelcome behaviour.