Anti Ragging Policy
The following is a description of what constitutes ragging as per the Raghavan Committee recommendation to the Supreme Court: Ragging is as any act which violates the dignity of the individual student or is perceived to violate his/her dignity. Ragging is a cognizable, non-bailable, non compoundable offence with punishment ranging from one year imprisonment and fine upto 7 years rigorous imprisonment and fine.
Broadly ragging can be categorized in the following way for which various term of punishment are prescribed
- Verbal: Where senior causes mental harassment, discomfort for the junior by forcing him/her to answer unacceptable/ personal questions, dance, sing etc is said to rag the junior. It also includes within its ambit cyber ragging. Punishment: 1 year imprisonment or fine or both.
- Severe Verbal Ragging: Where the mental harassment, discomfort is to such an act as forces the junior to withdraw from the college. Punishment: 7 year imprisonment with fine.
- Physical: Any act by the senior towards the junior which in icts bodily injury on the junior, like beating the junior, hitting him/her with objects etc. Punishment: 7 year imprisonment with fine.
- Sexual Ragging: Where the senior asks the junior to do an act which damages sexual dignity of the junior. Punishment: 7 year rigorous imprisonment and fine.
Penalty For Ragging (Institute Level)
For further information, please read attached document on AICTE regulations Antiragging Committee And SQUAD
- Expulsion from the educational institution, if found guilty on inquiry by the Institution against a complaint lodged by any other student.
- Any student convicted with imprisonment shall be dismissed from the educational institution in which he/she has been prosecuting his studies for the time being and shall not be readmitted to that educational institution.
Antiragging Committee And SQUAD
The institute AntiRagging Committee(as per April 02, 2014) consists of
- Dean, Students’ Affairs (Chairperson)
- Chairperson, Council of Wardens (Vice-Chairperson) .
- All the Wardens (Member(s))
- President, SAC (Member)
- Superintendent or AR, DOAA or DOSA (Member Secretary)
The committee will oversee the implementation of the provisions of the verdict and the Govt. of India guidelines in this regard from time to time.