The Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Berhampur, established in 2016 by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India is a Center of Excellence dedicated to teaching and research in basic sciences. As a unique initiative in science education in India, IISER Berhampur aims to be a University of the highest caliber devoted to both high quality teaching and state-of-the-art research in a totally integrated manner, thus nurturing both curiosity and creativity.
IISER Berhampur offers 5 years BS-MS and PhD programmes in an intellectually vibrant atmosphere of research. Apart from classroom instruction, IISER builds student skills in areas such as scientific inquiry, problem solving, analytical and communication skills, computational sciences, electronics, instrumentation and workshop practices. IISER plans to develop advanced teaching and research laboratories where students will have the opportunity to perform experiments as well as pursue advanced research under the mentorship of world-class faculty. This would make education and career building in basic sciences more exciting and rewarding.
We dedicate ourselves to learn, teach and serve society through excellence in science education and research, in an ecosystem based on integrity, fairness, dignity and professionalism to provide equal opportunities for all.
The vision of IISER Berhampur encompasses creation of research institute/centres of the highest caliber in which teaching and education in basic sciences will be totally integrated with state-of-the-art research. IISERs are devoted to under-graduate and post-graduate teaching in sciences in an intellectually vibrant atmosphere of research and make education and career in basic sciences more attractive by providing opportunities in integrative teaching and learning of sciences.
- To create quality education and research in basic sciences.
- To attract and nurture high-quality academic faculty.
- To create integrated Masters Programme in sciences, in order to provide entry into research at a younger age. In addition, the Institutes will have integrated programmes leading to Masters and Ph.Ds to those who hold a Bachelor’s degree in science.
- To make possible a flexible borderless curriculum in sciences.
- To actively forge strong relationship with existing universities and colleges and network with laboratories and institutions.
- To establish advanced Research Laboratories and Central facilities.